Monday, May 07, 2007

Drugstore ding-dongs

Had to fill a prescription for my cousin and it's a C-DAP prescription so I went to the first drugstore that had the C-DAP sign, and talked to the person filling prescriptions. This turned out to be Delta Drugs in Arima. The person, whom I am not entirely sure is a pharmacist, so I am not calling her that, said that only one of the drugs could be obtained freely with C-DAP, and I would have to pay for the other two. She told me the cost...I thought it was a bit high so decided to "shop around." The next drugstore I landed at, Bhagan's (on Broadway), the C-DAP drug was available, but the woman at the counter (and her cohort) told me I would have to verify with the doctor the exact "augmentation" because they couldn't understand it from the prescription. So I told them the first person who saw the prescription had no such problem. They apparently had such great confidence in their "ignorance" that they told me I could go and get the prescription elsewhere if I could. So I did. I went to Ross next. The person repeated what Bhagan's people said. So now I am wondering if the Dr. really wrote so illegibly they couldn't understand, and also wondering why the person at Delta drugs had no such trouble deciphering the handwriting. Luckily my next stop would be the last in my quest! At Maxsal, the person filling prescriptions was a gentleman. He told me at first I couldn't get the C-DAP drug but then when I mentioned I couldn't fill the prescription if I could only get two out of the three drugs, he apparently changed his mind...or maybe he remembered he did have the third drug after all. At any rate, he also did not have a problem deciphering how long the prescription should be filled for. So I asked him to tell me how he figured it out because the other drugstore people did not seem to understand and he explained the very simple coding the doctor had used. I guess the people at Ross or Bhagan's are not as experienced at filling prescriptions as one would think, if they cannot figure out that 2/52 means 2 weeks and 1/12 means 1 month. I don't think I will be filling too many prescriptions there at any rate. They have dropped in my estimation, and the customer service was not at all commendable. Even if they could not have helped me, they could have maintained a pleasant demeanour. This is not the first time I have dealt with unpleasant people who are there to "serve" customers. It is rampant in T&T, and patently obvious that there is a gross disregard for customers in many stores, where the people who are hired to serve customers never actually care about them and show it by their actions.

No comments: