Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Food Court - Auzonville Shopping Centre, Tunapuna

The new Auzonville Shopping Centre has a small food court on the ground floor. I have only tried the first place on the right (southwest corner of the food area) where you can buy East Indian food aka roti or paratha (buss-up shut), as well as other local dishes such as macaroni pie, rice, stewed chicken etc. I have never tried anything but the paratha which I must say is not of consistent quality but is of good enough quality for me to recommend, because I have had worse. The sauces are usually decent, some very good, especially the massala mango, which I always have. You are allowed two sides with your paratha, but they almost always offer potato and channa, so if you don't want a particular side, feel free to say so before they start dishing out your order. I usually have channa, pumpkin and mango ($1 for the extra side). The best thing about this place is they really do cook WITHOUT pepper and that to me is a big plus. I do not eat pepper but most places that serve paratha which I love, usually serve the sides with pepper and they always say it's just for flavour or "you won't notice/taste it", but I can always taste it! So this place gets top points for recognising that pepper is not a staple but a condiment and for leaving it where it belongs; on the side, as an option, and not compelling poor unsuspecting people to eat what their body cannot tolerate. That being said, I don't think their pepper sauce is the best because it made my friend ill, but I still will recommend the place,...maybe you could just avoid the pepper sauce. Who needs it anyway?
The mall has a Chinese restaurant on the top floor which I have not yet tried. There's an interesting soup place on the north west corner of the ground floor, which I have not tried either. Someone I know did purchase soup there, though and seemed to enjoy it.

No comments: