Thursday, February 24, 2005

Customer service story - duty on imports

Imported a Leapad Learning system. It was classified as a TOY
(WEIGHT: 5 LBS)
I thought the duty fee looked way too high especially since the last item which was in the same class as this was not assessed any duty fees.
I wrote to Skymail (TTPost) via email to query the high duty charge and I was told (via email) to call this number 6262345 which turns out to be ecourier.

First time I called ecourier, pressed 1 for customer service, spoke with female, who did not identify herself. She told me duty on toys: 20% so if they classified it as a toy it would be assessed 20% duty on the value (and I know they add vat)

I called back when I calculated the duty and it still didn't compute with what I was charged.

This time spoke with a guy who when he found out I was a myskymail customer tried to tell me that myskymail was in process of handling my package.
I countered with: I already have my package
ecourier csr: and they told you to call us?
me: they said if I have a query about duty to call this number

So he then asked for the awb and asked if there was anything in the package with the price. I said yes. He took a contact number and said he would call tomorrow. Still didn't offer his name. I asked for his name and then he told me (Nellon in customer service) and repeated that he would call me tomorrow.

So I will tell you more tomorrow! :)

No comments: